People who live remarkable lives stand out from the crowd. The word remarkable refers to something that is exceptional, important, striking and worth noticing. Some people may do remarkable things or feats, but they might not necessarily live a remarkable life. There is a difference between accomplishments, personality and lifestyle that is worth noting.
Something remarkable can be a one-time event and personality shines under the right circumstances, but a remarkable life is built on regular, daily attitudes and habits that stand out and make others take notice.
Below is a list of 15 attitudes and habits that I believe make for a remarkable life:
1. As much as possible spend your time and energy in your areas of strength and giftedness, while managing your areas of weakness. You will accomplish more and enjoy a greater level of satisfaction if you do.
2. Maintain an attitude of thankfulness. Giving thanks enlarges the heart and removes smallness and pettiness that would try to creep in. Keeping a “thankfulness” journal is a great way to appreciate the everyday blessings in life.
3. With greater freedom comes greater responsibility and when you have been faithful with a little bit, more will be given to you. Don’t despise small beginnings, be faithful.
4. God gave us two ears and one mouth and I think it is because He wanted us to do twice as much listening as speaking. Be a genuine listener and focus on really hearing what the other person is saying.
5. While there are many things in life that are beyond your control; the one thing you can control is your attitude. I’m convinced that attitude is a major influence in how we play the game of life. It is what sets people apart; it defines the winners from the losers.
6. Remember be true to who you are and don’t live for the approval of others. People can be fickle and God’s approval is the only one that really matters in the end.
7. As you live freely and generously toward others, you will in turn experience a greater measure of freedom in your own life. Suspend negative judgments, give people the benefit of the doubt and extend grace as often as possible.
8. Always remember that the greatness within others will never diminish the greatness that God has placed within you. It is truly a blessing to have the balance of being able to appreciate and value others, while being confident in who you are.
9. In the busyness of life you must be vigilant to guard those things that you value and make time for them. The things you value are crucial to your sense of significance and satisfaction.
10. Your life here on earth will pass quickly. Therefore make it your goal to live each day with an eternal purpose, knowing that Heaven is your ultimate destination.
11. Mistakes and failures from your past are not your identity. They are only events, that will be points of growth and character building, but they do not define you so don’t let them box you in.
12. Begin taking small steps in the direction of your heart’s desire and allow your gifts to bless others, while bringing you joy at the same time. If the God of the universe has gifted and equipped you, He’ll guide you and help you see things through.
13. Always remember that the “winners” in life are not necessarily those who have it easy. Real winners are those who overcome adversity and provide a good example for others in the process.
14. Tomorrow is not guaranteed, so live as if today were your last day on earth, but plan for the future as if you’ll live forever.
15. All of us leave a legacy behind and if you live right, yours will be a legacy that will live on forever!
Spiritual Perspective: Always remember that even if you were the only person in the world who would say yes to Jesus, He would have come to save just you because that is how much He loves you. Knowing this is true, look to the future with the eyes of faith, confident that God’s love for you is greater than any obstacle you may face. Endeavor to live big and think big, never shrinking back from the things God has put in your heart. Psalm 119:1* sums it up best, “You’re blessed when you stay on course, walking steadily on the road revealed by God.”
If you’re ready to stand out and be remarkable, and start living a life of significance, life coaching can get you on the path of remarkable living. It’s easy to get started, just click here now and let’s partner together for your success!
Truth For Your Life: What do you believe makes for a remarkable life? How are you instilling those traits into your children or others whom you influence? What traits do you think I missed?
*Published by permission. Originally published by NavPress in English as THE MESSAGE: The Bible in Contemporary Language copyright 2002 by Eugene Peterson. All rights reserved.
© 2011 Bridget Haymond. All rights reserved.
WANT TO USE THIS ARTICLE IN YOUR E-ZINE OR WEBSITE? Please do! Feel free to reprint this article on your website, own newsletter or message boards as long as you send me an email letting me know and include the following resource information:
© 2011 Bridget Haymond ~ Connecting your values, passion and purpose www.BridgetHaymond.com
© 2011 – 2012, Bridget Haymond. All rights reserved. I own the content on this Web site from 2009 – 2014 and it is copyrighted in my name. You are NOT permitted to use the content herein for commercial purposes, including selling or licensing printed or digital versions of my content. You may not alter, transform, or build upon this work. You may not take phrases, taglines or graphics without written consent. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from Bridget Haymond is strictly prohibited. Upon receipt of written consent, excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear copyright credit is given to “©Bridget Haymond. All rights reserved. Originally published at www.BridgetHaymond.com” with appropriate and specific links back to the original content.